Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Free Case Evaluation

Call 856-779-9500 now or fill out the form above to receive a free confidential consultation.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Cherry Hill UM/UIM Claim Lawyers

Cherry Hill car accident attorneys serving South Jersey

Every car owner in New Jersey is required to have liability coverage in case of an accident, but not everyone follows the rules. If you’re injured in an accident, your uninsured/underinsured (UM/UIM) coverage can help if the driver who caused the crash did not have insurance or did not have enough coverage to pay your damages. Our Cherry Hill UM/UIM lawyers can help ensure that you can access this coverage in full.

Ferrara & Gable is respected across New Jersey for our record of impressive insurance settlements and jury verdicts. We’re also respected for our understanding of when and how to file UM/UIM claims for accident victims and their families. When drivers don’t have insurance, don’t have enough insurance, or engage in a hit-and-run, we file UM/UIM claims with your own insurance company.

Free Case Evaluation

Call 856-779-9500 now or fill out the form above to receive a free confidential consultation.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

What insurance coverage must car owners have in New Jersey?

New Jersey car owners and drivers are required to have, at least, the following liability insurance coverage.

  • Bodily injury: This coverage compensates injury victims for medical bills as well as pain and suffering and lost wages. There are two separate amounts: one per person, and one per accident.
  • Property damage coverage generally pays for the damage to fix or replace the vehicle.

In addition to these liability coverages, you can also purchase:

  • Personal injury protection (PIP), which pays for your medical bills regardless of fault. PIP also covers your lost wages and other expenses you have because of your injuries.
  • Collision coverage pays for the damage to your car after an accident with another car or a roadside object – regardless of fault.
  • Comprehensive coverage pays for non-collision damages including fire, flooding, vandalism, theft, and colliding with an animal.
  • Uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage, which will cover bodily injury and property damage when the other driver does not have coverage, or does not have enough coverage.

When can I use my UM/UIM policy in Cherry Hill?

Anyone who is covered by a UM/UIM policy can file a UM/UIM claim. The same issues generally apply as they do for a personal injury claim. This means that you must prove that another driver was negligent and that the negligence caused your injuries or the death of a loved one.

UM/UIM coverage can also be used if you were hit by a hit-and-run driver. A hit-and-run driver is someone who caused your car accident and then drove away without providing assistance and without providing their contact information.

How much UM/UIM coverage should I buy?

If you purchase a standard liability policy, you can buy UM/UIM coverage that is at least the same as the required minimum coverage ($25,000 for one accident victim and $50,000 for multiple victims).

At Ferrara & Gable, our Cherry Hill UM/UIM lawyers recommend that you buy as much auto insurance coverage as you can reasonably afford. Since New Jersey permits car owners to have basic coverage, there’s a good chance that the driver who caused your accident will be underinsured for your needs. Many drivers who have standard coverage only have the state minimum coverage, which will likely not be enough to cover your expenses.

Just one night in a hospital can cost tens of thousands of dollars. If you have a serious injury, your claim could be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars or millions of dollars. Your claim is only as strong as the insurance coverage the responsible driver has or the amount of your UM/UIM policy.

Who else can use my UM/UIM coverage after a Cherry Hill car accident?

The good news is that it is just not the owner of the UM/UIM policy who can file a UM/UIM claim. Generally, the following people can also file an insurance claim through your UM/UIM policy (if the responsible defendants are not insured or don’t have enough insurance):

  • Members of your household including your spouse and your minor children.
  • Anyone you permitted to drive your car
  • A passenger in your car, if another driver negligently causes an accident that injures the passenger

The specifics of who is covered and how claims can be filed are very complicated. Our Cherry Hill UM/UIM lawyers will explain your rights and pursue your claim. We’ll explain how your PIP benefits affect your UM/UIM claim. Our team will also explain what time limits apply for notifying your carrier of a UM/UIM claim and formally filing the UM/UIM claim. The time requirements may be very short so contact us immediately after a car accident.

Do you have a Cherry Hill UM/UIM lawyer near me?

Ferrara & Gable meets car accident victims and families at our office located at 601 Longwood Avenue in Cherry Hill, NJ. There’s parking nearby. You can reach us by riding the Rt. 38 bus. We do make alternate arrangements if you’re too hurt to come to our office. These arrangements include speaking with you by phone or via a video consultation.

We’ll answer all your questions and explain how the uninsured/underinsured claims process works.

Our experienced Cherry Hill UM/UIM lawyers serve all of South Jersey

Car accidents happen quite often in Cherry Hill. When a crash happens, you need to make sure your bills will be paid and that you receive the compensation you deserve. At Ferrara & Gable, our Cherry Hill UM/UIM lawyers will help you pursue your liability claim, your UM/UIM claim, your PIP claim, and any other insurance claims. Call us or contact us today to schedule a free consultation.

Related on uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage in NJ: